Politics India
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Politics India

November, 1998

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Empty Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Admin

Admin

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Doordarshan

https://polindia.forumotion.com

2Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Empty Vajpayee Resigns for Health Reasons Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 pm

Admin

Admin

Vajpayee Resigns for Health Reasons

Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee has resigned as Leader of the BJP and is set to resign as Prime Minister as soon as a successor is found.

The resignation has come in the wake of a heart attack he suffered early this morning. Mr.Vajpayee was rushed to AIIMS hospital in Delhi after complaining of giddiness. His condition is reported to be stable.

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Vajpayee

A spokesman for the BJP said that Mr.Vajpayee had called the Party Chairman and informed him of his decision to resign. Doordarshan has learnt that Mr.Vajpayee also had a phone conversation with the President of India.

We have more from our political correspondent, Sujatha Jain:

This is really a big blow to the BJP and the government's hopes of survival. Mr.Vajpayee was perhaps unique in being from the liberal wing of the party, yet acceptable to the Hindu nationalists on the right of the party. The key question for the BJP is what they will look for in their new leader.

Members on the right will be pushing for someone who will take the Hindutva agenda forward, implement a uniform civil code, build the Ram temple at Ayodhya and integrate Kashmir fully into the union. However, the BJP's allies may not be best pleased with some of those policies and given their slender majority in Parliament, going down this route could risk an early election.

Alternatively, the more liberal MPs would want someone who would put reforms, lower taxes and privatisation at the forefront of their agenda. While they might be less agreeable to the party base, they would have a better chance of taking the BJP's alliance partners and the country with them.

The challenge for the BJP is whether they can find someone who will satisfy both wings of the party while governing the nation effectively.

Last edited by on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Admin

Crisis in Congress

"Sonia Unfit to Lead" said Leader of Opposition, Sharad Pawar and followed it up by tendering his own resignation.

An emergency meeting of the main opposition Congress Party is under way to tackle a rebellion within its own ranks over its Italian-born leader, Sonia Gandhi.

At a hastily convened press conference, Sharad Pawar, Leader of the Congress Parliamentary Party and Leader of Opposition described the Congress President, Italian-born Mrs Gandhi as "totally unfit to become the prime minister of the country. Sonia remained Italian for 15 of the 30 years she has been in India," Mr Pawar said. He then tendered his resignation.

Under Congress Party convention, the Leader of the Parliamentary Party although nominally elected by MPs is in effect appointed by the President of the Congress Party who is elected by Party Members. Typically, the same person holds both offices. As Mrs.Gandhi is not a Member of Parliament, Mr.Pawar was appointed to lead the Parliamentary Party.

Doordarshan has learnt that along with former parliamentary speaker Purno Sangma and senior leader Tariq Anwar, Sharad Pawar had earlier written a letter to Mrs Gandhi outlining the dissenting views. "It is not possible that a country of 980 million people, with a wealth of education, competence and ability, can have anyone other than an Indian, born of Indian soil, to head its government," the three politicians wrote.

Although some party members said the three dissidents would probably split from the party, Sharad Pawar said that he had no such plans. No comment has been forthcoming from Mrs.Gandhi herself. Some analysts contend that Mr.Pawar's outburst is part of a broader power struggle in the Congress Party between those of a leftist tendency close to Sonia Gandhi and party members who have differences with such an approach in a country where the political centre has moved significantly to the right in the last decade.

Admin

Admin

Mrs.Gandhi Resigns

Doordarshan has just learnt that Mrs.Gandhi has tendered her resignation to the Congress Working Committee. Mrs Gandhi tendered her resignation saying she was pained by the dissidents' lack of confidence in her. She added that she considered India as her motherland. Party leaders quickly dispatched a delegation to persuade her to change her mind, but after a late-night meeting, the delegation could only report that it had been given a patient hearing.

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) _343170_sonia_presser300

This morning, she delivered a brief statement to the press and said, "I have chosen to step down as Congress President in the best interests of the party. Following Mr.Pawar's resignation yesterday, I believe it is best for the Party to elect a President who can also serve as Leader of the Parliamentary Party." She added that she would offer her full support and cooperation to whoever is elected.

Most analysts expressed surprise at the move as Mrs.Gandhi had the support of 14 out of 17 members of the Congress Working Committee. It is thought that the decision was motivated by her desire to avoid a split in the party at all costs and to ensure that the Congress continues to provide effective opposition to the BJP led government.

The CWC must now elect a new President who is widely expected to also take over leadership of the parliamentary party. It is thought that Mrs.Gandhi and persons loyal to her will play a key role in determining who becomes the next Leader of the Congress Party.

Admin

Admin

Bhudev is New Prime Minister

Mr.Buddhadev Bhudev has been sworn in as Prime Minister of India. He called upon the President, Mr.Narayanan following his election as Leader of the BJP Parliamentary Party.

Earlier today, he was unanimously elected by the BJP National Executive as the Leader of the Parliamentary Party. No other candidates put their names forward for the position.

He spoke to the Press before entering 11, Race Course Road.

"My Fellow Citizens of India, today is a new but sad start, with the health problems of my friend and former Prime Minister Vajpayee has forced him to resign as Prime Minister of the Republic. I wish to extend my full and up most thanks to him for his service to India and wish him the best and a most speedy recovery. I would like to say that the President has just asked me to form the next government of India of which I have accepted.

I have not accepted this position lightly but accepted with heavy discussion with my friends and family. I have served in the Indian Army and know that I can provide a stable and prosperous leadership for the nation, our nation. I ask that you walk this road hand in hand with me from the beginning.

In the coming days I will be appointing people to Ministry level positions. These people will be the best in their respected fields rest assured. Again in closing I would like to thank the former Prime Minister and the President for their continued service to our wonderful nation. Finally, I would like to say that I am eager to get to work so we can build India further, my only hope is that my opposition members will work with us to help further our wonderful country!"

The unanimous decision of the National Executive was welcomed by senior party figures like Mr.Vajpayee and Mr.Advani. Party members and coalition partners also welcomed the quick conclusion to what many thought would be a long drawn out process.

Admin

Admin

Poisoned Oil kills 20

The adulteration of mustard oil has caused dozens of deaths. Twenty people in Delhi died after consuming the mustard oil and at least five-hundred people have been admitted to hospital.

There has been a temporary ban on the sale of the oil in West Bengal, Bihar and in India's most populous state -- Uttar Pradesh. The adulterated mustard oil causes a disease known as dropsy which attacks the nervous system and eventually causes kidney and heart failure. The poisonous effect is caused by mixing mustard seeds with those of a weed known as prickly poppy, or argemone.

Admin

Admin

More than 30 killed in Kashmir Attack

Police say thirty-four people were killed in northern India when gunmen attacked two villages near the border between Indian-administered Kashmir and the state of Himachal Pradesh.

Officials say they think militant Kashmiri separatists were responsible for the attacks on the villages of Kalaban and Strundi but there's no confirmation of this.

In Kashmir itself, shelling is reported to have continued for a fifth day across the line of control that divides Indian and Pakistani-administered areas.

Admin

Admin

Prakharti Elected Congress President

Mr.Mohandas Prakharti was today elected President of the Indian National Congress. It is thought that he will also be the Leader of Opposition. He polled over 85% of the vote and was considered by most to be the only serious candidate.

Our correspondent Anand Patwardan has more on this:

Mr.Prakharti has a tough task ahead of him. While his promise of following a policy of consensus and moderatism might help heal the divisions within the party, it might pose an obstacle to moving the Congress Party forward and positioning it to seriously challenge the government when a general election comes around.

Most people do not have a clear idea of where the Congress stands anymore. Mr.Prakharti certainly has his task cut out. The challenge for him is to develop sound policies that challenge the BJP effectively while keeping his own party together.

Thank You.

In other news, at stumps on the first day...

Admin

Admin

Sharp Rise In Onion Prices

Onion prices have registered a dramatic increase from around Rs.15 per kg to Rs.35 per kg in Delhi during the last month. Onions are a key ingredient in most ordinary people's diets. In some places a kilogram of onions is costing more than the average daily wage. Many restaurants and eateries have resorted to using fewer onions in their dals and curries.

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) 208042onions300db0

With state elections approaching in Delhi, the position of the ruling BJP is under siege in a city that has traditionally voted for the BJP. Jairam Ramesh of the Congress Party blamed hoarders and speculators. He said, "Under this government, the fact is that ordinary people cannot buy vegetables, when 70% to 80% of the country is vegetarian." He has called for price controls which he says the BJP government will not impose as it is supported by hoarders and speculators who are deriving super profits.

Shivram Patil of the Wholesale Vegetable Merchants Association does not believe hoarding is to blame. Instead, he blames unseasonal rains which he says have destroyed close to 15% of the vegetable crop in many parts of the country. He says other vegetables are being affected too, although onions are by far the worst offenders.

This is a bread and butter issue that affects the lives of ordinary people. The central government's economic competence will be called into question if it is unable to hold the price line effectively.

Admin

Admin

Prime Minister Resigns

The Prime Minister, Mr.Bhudev has submitted his resignation to the President. The reason for his resignation is not yet clear.

Seema Rakesh will serve as interim Prime Minister until a new leader is elected. She has already put her name forward for the leadership election. The BJP will be hoping for a quick conclusion to the leadership election so that they can get on with governing.

11Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Empty Re: Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 pm

Admin

Admin

Seema Rakesh Sworn In

Seema Rakesh was unanimously elected Leader of the BJP and sworn in as Prime Minister earlier today. Mrs.Rakesh was earlier serving as Home Minister and Economic Affairs Minister.

Doordarshan News (August-December 1998) 299

Mrs.Rakesh is an industrialist from Mumbai. While her experience in business might prove useful in managing public sector businesses, it could turn into a cause for concern if opposition parties used her privilleged background to present her as out of touch. Moreover, the Hindu Nationalist wing of the party may not be best pleased with the outcome.

With the recent rise in vegetable prices, the troubles in Kashmir and the industrial slowdown, Mrs.Rakesh will face tough challenges in the coming weeks and months. She has started off by deploying additional Border Security Force battalions to Kashmir to combat the worsening situation there.

The reasons for Mr.Bhudev's resignation are still unclear. There is speculation that infighting within the party was responsible for his departure. However, there is also an opinion among some circles that the resignation was due to personal or family reasons. In either case, the BJP's decision to elect someone unable to last more than a month does not speak highly of the party unless there is a very good reason for it.

Admin

Admin

West Bengal Power Cut Off

The Central Electricity Authority, the main electricity supplier of the country, has stopped providing electricity to one state and is threatening to cut off two others because of unpaid bills. The unpaid bill in West Bengal alone, where supplies have already been cut, is more than Rs.800 crore (Rs. 8 billion)

The other two states, Bihar and Orissa have been granted a reprieve because they are promising partial payments, but West Bengal officials have problems and in the cities theft of power is becoming endemic. The number of people who could potentially be affected by the cuts is close to 200 million.

Few governments, ministries and publicly run corporations in India, pay their utility bills on time. Some do not pay at all. State governments are particularly vulnerable because they distribute electricity from the National Grid but they cannot get their customers to pay up. That is why the Central Electricity Authority has had to cut supplies to West Bengal and is threatening Bihar and Orissa states with power cuts.

Reforming the electricity sector is a key priority for those supporting Indian economic reform. In Delhi, nearly half of all electricity consumed is through illegal unregistered connections. But reform will mean tougher bill collections and an end to the practice of providing cheap electricity to farmers in exchange for votes. Such changes will not come easily here.

Admin

Admin

Electricity Restored to West Bengal

Electricity supply has been restored to West Bengal after the central government intervened in the dispute and reached an agreement with the West Bengal government and the Central Electricity Authority. Under the terms of the agreement, the cost of unpaid electricity will be deducted from any budgetary payments that are made to the state. Debt that is outstanding will be converted into interest bearing bonds which the state government will issue to the central government.

The Prime Minister, Mrs.Rakesh welcomed the agreement. She said, "It is time the central government took a stand and said that it wouldn't tolerate the current state of affairs. Goods and services that are used must be paid for."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum